Re: [netcdfgroup] [Hdf-forum] Make the Cmake Windows build static please !

Re: Version Stamp on library names. Please, do NOT do this. Boost does
this and trying to get a build system to find those libraries via
wildcard searching is fraught with danger and error prone. My
FindHDF5.cmake file is crazy enough as it is. Adding in the
complication of looking for hdf5_1_8_10 OR blah blah blah is going to
make those Find modules even harder to write.

 I do vote for the other idea though (static/dynamic runtime linking
option). I am with John on this, once you "crack the code" on how to
deploy your application with DLL libraries it is not that hard to do
properly with the dynamic runtime libraries.

The original question though was more about the clashing of the
runtime library versions which is why most of  the developers that I
meet we all compile our own versions rather than relying on the
vendor's version. There are just too many variables for a vendor to
try to cover to make it realistic.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx