Re: [netcdfgroup] renaming a Group?

Jeff et al.,

I want this functionality too. I thought it might be easy to do
by emulating the existing rename functions for vars and dimensions.
Unfortunately, I never managed to get my patch to work.
Maybe somebody will see what I did wrong:
http://dust.ess.uci.edu/tmp/nc_rename_grp.tar.gz

In the meantime, I use NCO GPE to rename groups. This "renames" the
hard way, by writing to a new file rather than by relinking internal
data structures in an existing file.

ncks -O -G f4:1 -g g4 ~/nco/data/in_grp.nc ~/tmp.nc # Move /g4 to /f4
ncks -O -x -g g4 ~/nco/data/in_grp.nc ~/out.nc # Excise /g4
ncks -A ~/tmp.nc ~/out.nc # Add /f4 to new file

Awkward? Yes. Three steps instead of an easy ncrename.

See http://nco.sf.net/nco.html#gpe for more details.

Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(