[netcdfgroup] Announcing a transition to GitHub

Hello all,

In a move that has been a long time coming, we would like to announce the transition from our in-house subversion repository to GitHub (http://www.github.com). The netCDF C, Fortran, and C++ libraries will join other projects such as THREDDS, IDV, GEMPACK, and LDM at the Unidata GitHub repository, located at:

https://github.com/organizations/Unidata

The benefits of this transition, beyond bringing the netCDF projects in line with other Unidata distributions, will be to improve collaboration with other developers in our community.

For those unfamiliar with git and GitHub, no user account is required; anonymous access is supported. You can fetch a copy of the repository by using the 'git' command instead of the 'svn' command. For those unfamiliar with git, GitHub hosts a series of tutorials and screencasts which may be found here: https://help.GitHub.com/articles/where-can-i-learn-more-about-git-and-GitHub. There are also a number of free GUI front-ends for git, including the GitHub GUI software, and SourceTree for Windows and OSX. Source releases will still be accessible from the Unidata website, as will binary releases (currently, only binaries for Windows are generated).

The target date for this transition is one week from today; Tuesday, August 6th. On this date the subversion repository will be frozen during the transition; this process takes several hours in our dry-runs. Once the transition is complete, an announcement will be made. All current releases, revision history, and branches will be retained. The subversion repository will persist for 2 months at least (actual EOL is TBD), but changes will not be made to it.

Thanks for your time, we look forward to our move to GitHub, and are happy to answer any questions about this upcoming transition.

The netCDF team,

Russ, Dennis and Ward