Re: [netcdfgroup] questions about how to install the stable netcdfsoftware into my linux platforms

Before all the burden, have you tried yum install netcdf ? I believe there are
a pre-build package for NetCDF on OpenSuse; although it may miss the fortran
version.

Since NetCDF 4.2.x, there are two source packages, NetCDF-c (the main one) and
NetCDF-fortran. Install first the package for the c version, then procceed to
the fortran version.

While I think there’s no problem for the c version, if you are going to use the
fortran version of NetCDF, ensure you compiled it with the compiler you are
going to use with your project. For example, if you are using the intel
compiler suite, ensure you compile the NetCDF library with ifort not gfortran.
If you are using only GNU suite, then everything should be straightforward.

The fortran version is just below the c version. In the page you linked you can
read “
NetCDF C Stable Releases
“
With the NetCDF c links. Just below, there’s a “
NetCDF Fortran Releases
“
And voila you’re there. Below are the c++ variant, and the first one is for
java.

If you really want a NetCDF version that comes with both c and fortran bundled,
you are looking for NetCDF 4.1.1.

Lastly, a library is like an windows’ .dll (which stands for dynamically linked
library). You don’t need any source code in order to use the library. You may
use additionally, though, the header/include files that usually are left
somewhere at /usr/include (/usr/local/include or whatever root path you used to
install the library). The source code is used only to build the library, be it
NetCDF, be it whatever else.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Remember looking for if your linux
distribution has precompiled binary packages for the library, it may save you a
whole lot of trouble. You are out of luck I guess, if you have to deal with
other compiler like intel, pathscale, cray or pgi (meaning you will have to
compile the package anyway).

- Fabrício