Re: [netcdfgroup] nc_inq_var_chunking segfault with hdf4 format file

> I just meant that it seems like it would be a clean solution if
> nc_inq_var_chunking set *storagep to NC_CONTIGUOUS and returned without
> generating an error if given a hdf4 format file, since, as far as I know,
> no hdf4 format file can have chunked variables.
I see, yes we can do that; I will discuss it with Russ
and Ward to make sure there are no unexpected consequences.
=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

David W. Pierce wrote:
It seems that nc_inq_var_deflate, nc_inq_var_fletcher32, and
nc_inq_var_endian all work with hdf4 files; i.e., they report no
compression, no checksum, and the correct endian (on my machine),
respectively. It's the nc_inq_var_chunking call that is the odd man out.

By the way -- not sure if I misinterpreted this:

it will return an error because that is the only value
that can be returned by netcdf API functions.

I just meant that it seems like it would be a clean solution if
nc_inq_var_chunking set *storagep to NC_CONTIGUOUS and returned without
generating an error if given a hdf4 format file, since, as far as I know,
no hdf4 format file can have chunked variables.

Regards,

--Dave

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Dennis Heimbigner <dmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

I think we can fix this; it will return
an error because that is the only value
that can be returned by netcdf API functions.

Are there other netcdf operations not
available on HDF4 files? Compression, for
example?

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

David W. Pierce wrote:

Hi all,

Using netcdf version 4.3.0, the library segfaults if a hdf4 format file is
passed to the nc_inq_var_chunking routine.

It would be nice to be able to avoid this. Two solutions spring to mind:

1) Could the nc_inq_var_chunking routine be changed so that it simply
reports that any variable in a hdf4 format file is not chunked? Or,
perhaps
not as good but still serviceable, return an error code in this event?

2) Barring that, is there any way for user code to find out if the library
is accessing a hdf4 format file, so that the user code can avoid the call
to nc_inq_var_chunking in the first place?

Regards,

--Dave