[netcdfgroup] Duplicate enumeration ids in same scope

This may just be my misunderstanding and trying to use the enum data type
correctly, so sorry if I missed an obvious answer!

I created a simple cdl file with two enums:

netcdf enum_test{

      types:
        byte enum test1{pass=0, fail=1, undefined=2};
        byte enum test2{defined=0, undefined=1};
      variables:
          test1 test1;
          test2 test2;
      data:
        test1=0;
          test2=1;
}

I then pass it through ncgen to check the syntax and get the following error
message:

> ncgen enum_test.cdl
ncgen: enum_test.cdl line 4: Duplicate enumeration ids in same scope: /undefined

If I rename the second "undefined" to undefined_2, ncgen is happy but I am
confused.
It's not clear to me why I cannot use the same name value in different enum
types.
Is there something extra I need to do?

Any insights would be welcome.

Tim