Re: [netcdfgroup] Make the Cmake Windows build static please !

On 9/18/13 1:36 PM, Pedro Vicente wrote:

Hi Ward

Can you be a little more specific about how this does not work?
Is the issue that the generated projects are configured to use the the dynamic instead of static CRT?

Yes, I meant that the the generated projects were all runtime library Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd).

I was under the impression that if I do -D"BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF", then the projects would be static CRT ? Or is this option, just relative to the netCDF library itself, netcdf.lib ? In this case, my bad, sorry for the confusion.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the projects would be static CRT'. The file netcdf.lib would be a static library, but not a CRT. The Microsoft C Run-Time Libraries (CRT) are a specific set of system libraries, enumerated here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh(v=vs.100).aspx

It is possible to compile the netCDF library as a static object (a standard 'ar' archive) that still has dependencies on shared libraries, such as the hdf5 or libcurl dll's.

In the current system up to netCDF-C 4.3.1-rc2, netCDF was being built statically, with a dependency on the shared CRT libraries. With the changes previously described, it will be possible to (easily) build the netCDF library and utilities statically, with a dependency on the static CRT libraries.

In either case, the netCDF library and utilities are static; the difference is in which library (CRT) was being linked against.

I hope this clarifies things; the new option (NC_USE_STATIC_CRT) is being added and should be in the upcoming 4.3.1-rc3 release.

 -Ward

I see how this could be set as a user-configurable option when invoking cmake. I will try to add this in and, assuming there aren't any problems caused by using the static CRT, it will be an option available in the >>upcoming netCDF-4.3.1-RC3.

OK, great, thanks

Allen, maybe the HD5 Cmake could use the same ?

Pedro

pvicente@xxxxxxx
Department of Earth System Science
3200 Croul Hall