[netcdfgroup] Reading groups is very very slow. What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

I've just converted some of my netCDF writing code to write/read multiple groups rather than use an unlimited dimension. I did this so each group can have different "base" dimensions for the data arrays.

I have one data set where the unlimited dimension is 5000. The read/write of this data in netCDF3 format is almost instantaneous. When I use the netCDF4 approach (reading and writing 5000 separate groups) the reads and write can take upwards of 10minutes (I started the program at 10:33am. It is now 10:51am and the read of the created file is still going on).

I realise there's going to be additional overhead using the "groups" approach (defining dimensions and variables for each group) but I presume I'm doing something very wrong/stupid to cause the I/O to be as slow as it is. Before I start posting code snippets, does anyone have any experience hints as to what could be causing this supa slow I/O?

Thanks for any info.

cheers,

paulv

p.s. It's now 11:00am and the dataset reading is still going on...