[netcdfgroup] hdf5 error on read, any thoughts on this log message.

I have some code that keeps failing on and off on a netcdf read and was returning what appeared to be an hdf error with netcdf 4.2. I built the netcdf library with logging and it returned the log below. I had seen this error earlier in the year. We never quite figured it out other than that if we uncompressed the file offline before trying to read it we could not reproduce the error but it has returned now. The file itself we are trying to read has 15 variables and is compressed at level 2 and is over 1Gb when uncompressed. Can any shed more information on what this error log is saying? Is it the fact that the file is compressed that is the cause? The file appears to be fine when I do an ncdump and so on and sometimes the read succeeds without throwing an error.

 #000: H5Dio.c line 174 in H5Dread(): can't read data
    major: Dataset
    minor: Read failed
  #001: H5Dio.c line 449 in H5D_read(): can't read data
    major: Dataset
    minor: Read failed
#002: H5Dchunk.c line 1729 in H5D_chunk_read(): unable to read raw data chunk
    major: Low-level I/O
    minor: Read failed
  #003: H5Dchunk.c line 2760 in H5D_chunk_lock(): data pipeline read failed
    major: Data filters
    minor: Filter operation failed
#004: H5Z.c line 1120 in H5Z_pipeline(): filter returned failure during read
    major: Data filters
    minor: Read failed
#005: H5Zdeflate.c line 136 in H5Z_filter_deflate(): memory allocation failed for deflate uncompression
    major: Resource unavailable
    minor: No space available for allocation
 Error reading variable using ncvgt        -101
 NetCDF: HDF error

--
Ben Auer, PhD   SSAI, Scientific Programmer/Analyst
NASA GSFC,  Global Modeling and Assimilation Office