[netcdfgroup] NCO is treating zero and NaN the same?

I have a netCDF variable that has _FillValue attribute set to NaN (undefined
value from, for example, dividing a number by 0).  When I tried to set it to a
numeric value using ncatted, it changes all zeroes in data to the fill value as
well in the process.  Is this a bug is there a way to retain the zero values
while resetting the NaN fillvalue?

The following is the dump of a sample file I used. Both 0 and NaN in data
become fill value (-999.) while I was expecting the zeros to remain.  The
command I used to set fillvalue is:  ncatted -a "_FillValue,A,o,d,-999." nan.nc

******** Start of nan.nc dump ********
netcdf nan {
dimensions:
        latitude = 3 ;