[netcdfgroup] Undefined or forward referenced enum constant

Hello Everyone.

I have a cdl dataset where one of the variables is a 'char' It has been
defined as below:
 char wave_direction(station, obs) ;
          wave_direction:long_name = "wave_direction";
          wave_direction:standard_name = "wave_direction";
          wave_direction:nodc_name = "wave direction";
          wave_direction:units = "" ;
          wave_direction:scale_factor = 0.0f ;
          wave_direction:add_offset = 0.0f ;
          wave_direction:coordinates = "time lat lon" ;
          wave_direction:_FillValue = "-999";

When I run an ncgen on the above file, I get the following error:
"Undefined or forward referenced enum constant:"
What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Ajay