Re: [netcdfgroup] [Hdf-forum] netCDF-C 4.3.1-RC5 Available -buildHDF4 in Windows

the HDF4 mfhdf.h includes this section

/* change this back if it causes problems on other machines than the Alhpa-QAK */
/* Reverse back to the previous way. AKC */
#include "hdf.h"
#ifdef H4_HAVE_NETCDF
#include "netcdf.h"
#else
#include "hdf4_netcdf.h"
#endif

where the switch between different "netcdf.h" headers is made depending on H4_HAVE_NETCDF

The file hdf4_netcdf.h does not exist in the HDF4 distribution and it seems this is a autogenerated Cmake file, since there is this file in the Cmake cache

hdf4_netcdf.h.rule

could this be the issue here, that the file was not generated , and because of that netCDF compiles with errors ?

------------
pvicente@xxxxxxx
Department of Earth System Science
3200 Croul Hall
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pedro Vicente" <pvicente@xxxxxxx> To: "HDF Users Discussion List" <hdf-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Ward Fisher" <wfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] [Hdf-forum] netCDF-C 4.3.1-RC5 Available -buildHDF4 in Windows

I tried to build HDF4 using Cmake instead, no problems here.

Good to know that the syntax for zlib and szip is the same as for netCDF

cmake -C ../config/cmake/cacheinit.cmake
-D"JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=I:\hdf4_explorer\hdf\jpeg"
-D"JPEG_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=I:\hdf4_explorer\windows\jpeg\Debug\jpeg.lib"
-D"ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=I:\zlib-1.2.5"
-D"ZLIB_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=I:\zlib-1.2.5\build\bin\Debug\libzlib_D.lib"
-D"SZIP_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=I:\szip-2.1\src"
-D"SZIP_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=I:\szip-2.1\build\bin\Debug\libszip_D.lib"  ..

To build, I modified /config/cacheinit.cmake

so that

SET (BUILD_SHARED_LIBS OFF CACHE BOOL "Build Shared Libraries" FORCE)

changed ON to OFF

SET (HDF4_BUILD_FORTRAN OFF CACHE BOOL "Build FORTRAN support" FORCE)

changed ON to OFF

SET (HDF4_ENABLE_NETCDF OFF CACHE BOOL "Build HDF4 versions of NetCDF-3 APIS" FORCE)

changed ON to OFF

This last one being the flag that enables a "netCDF compatible" build, I think, please let me know if not

Just one small thing that could be done is to allow the generation of Microsoft static CRT (no DLLs, we've been here before :-) ), like HDF5 and netCDF now do

My workaround was to add this code to CMakeLists.txt, like I did for HDF5 before the introduction of static CRT

IF (WIN32)
 FOREACH (MODE "_DEBUG" "_MINSIZEREL" "_RELEASE" "_RELWITHDEBINFO")
   STRING(REPLACE "/MD" "/MT" TMP "${CMAKE_C_FLAGS${MODE}}")
   SET(CMAKE_C_FLAGS${MODE} "${TMP}" CACHE STRING "" FORCE)
   MESSAGE(STATUS "C_${MODE}=${CMAKE_C_FLAGS${MODE}}")
   STRING(REPLACE "/MD" "/MT" TMP "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS${MODE}}")
   SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS${MODE} "${TMP}" CACHE STRING "" FORCE)
   MESSAGE(STATUS "CXX_${MODE}=${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS${MODE}}")
 ENDFOREACH (MODE)
ENDIF (WIN32)

So, I think this takes care of the HDF4 part.

Now, regarding , netCDF, the same issue arises due to the fact the HDF4 headers for 'mfhdf' and 'hdf' libraries are in different places,
and the netCDF flags allow only for one header location

I used for the netCDF CMake build the locations of the HDF4 built above

-D"MFHDF_H_INCLUDE_DIR=I:\hdf-4.2.9\mfhdf\libsrc"
-D"HDF4_DF_LIB=I:\hdf-4.2.9\build\bin\Debug\hdfd.lib"
-D"HDF4_MFHDF_LIB=I:\hdf-4.2.9\build\bin\Debug\mfhdfd.lib"

the HDF4 mfhdf.h includes this section

/* change this back if it causes problems on other machines than the Alhpa-QAK */
/* Reverse back to the previous way. AKC */
#include "hdf.h"
#ifdef H4_HAVE_NETCDF
#include "netcdf.h"
#else
#include "hdf4_netcdf.h"
#endif

where the switch between different "netcdf.h" headers is made depending on H4_HAVE_NETCDF

One solution to solve the different header location is to copy all the HDF4 header files regarding the 'hdf' library to the location of the 'mfhdf' library, that I did

the netCDF Cmake generation went fine, but building I have compiling errors due to un-recognized symbols, for example

2>..\..\libsrc4\nc4type.c(29): error C2059: syntax error : 'constant'

NC4_inq_type_equal(int ncid1, nc_type typeid1, int ncid2,
   nc_type typeid2, int *equalp)
{
  NC_GRP_INFO_T *grp1, *grp2;

so, it seems that something is still missing here

------------

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:25 PM

Elena , Binh-Minh, I am going to need your help on this, since I am having trouble building the HDF4 library in a way that netCDF accepts it.

I just realized that the HDF4 version I was using was version 4.2.1 (circa year 1998) and the current version 4.2.9 has this symbol in h4config.h

/* Define if we support HDF NetCDF-3 APIs */
//#define H4_HAVE_NETCDF 1

So I am guessing here that this must be commented in the HDF4 build, so that netCDF accepts the HDF4 library without conflicts.

Is this the case?

There are 2 ways to build HDF4 in Windows:

1) Use the supplied Visual Studio projects
2) Use Cmake to generate Visual Studio projects

I tried 1)

"hdf" and "mfhdf" build fine
The current distro does not include the jpeg source. It should.
I had the jpeg source from version 4.2.1, so I can use that, no problem here.

This was done with

//#define H4_HAVE_NETCDF 1

commented , but I still have the same netCDF errors as in the last email.

So, assuming that the above build was done as it should, I am guessing here that the root of the problem is this symbol,
used by CMake of netCDF to detect "a"  HDF4 header location.

-D"MFHDF_H_INCLUDE_DIR=I:\hdf4-4.2.9-bin\include"

That I assume must include all the HDF4 headers.

Is this correct?

I tried to use

I:\hdf4-4.2.9-bin\include"

this place includes *all* the HDF4 headers, since this is a binary distribution (I use only the headers, not the libs)

This because the HDF5 *source* header locations includes 'mfhdf.h' and 'h4config.h' in different places.

I realize that this setting is a bit unusual (using source locations for the headers), but as a developer, binary distributions are totally useless for me , so
it would be great if anyone could come up with some fix for this

thanks

ps

these are the errors I get while compiling "netcdf4" from the generated CMake Visual Studio

2>J:\netcdf-c-4.3.1-rc5\include\netcdf_f.h(16): error C2054: expected '(' to follow 'EXTERNL' 2>J:\netcdf-c-4.3.1-rc5\include\netcdf_f.h(16): error C2085: 'nc_inq_var_chunking_ints' : not in formal parameter list 2>J:\netcdf-c-4.3.1-rc5\include\netcdf_f.h(18): error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'EXTERNL' 2>J:\netcdf-c-4.3.1-rc5\include\netcdf_f.h(22): error C2054: expected '(' to follow 'EXTERNL' 2>J:\netcdf-c-4.3.1-rc5\include\netcdf_f.h(23): error C2085: 'nc_open_par_fortran' : not in formal parameter list

[EDIT]

on closer look , these errors are actually different from the one from my first email

I:\hdf4_explorer\mfhdf\libsrc\netcdf.h(25): fatal error C1083: Cannot open
include file: 'hdfi.h': No such file or directory

so, it seems, that is solved, and this is another issue

Pedro Vicente
pedro.vicente@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.space-research.org/

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pedro Vicente" <pvicente@xxxxxxx> To: <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Ward Fisher" <wfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>