Re: [netcdfgroup] unlimited dimensions and chunking??

  • To: Chris Barker <chris.barker@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] unlimited dimensions and chunking??
  • From: Charlie Zender <zender@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 16:22:33 -0800
Hi Chris,

We use record and unlimited interchangeably.
A record dimenison is an unlimited dimension.

> if you had a 1-d variable of records, would that mean chunks equal the
> record size? 'cause that would be way too small  in the common case.

yes, the rd1 map is not good for access speeds on 1D vars.
use the --cnk_dmn=time,sz option to override this. or use lfp map...

> Not so clear from the amount of time I've spent reading that, but what
> would be the default chunking for a 1-d unlimited variable? or a 2-d,
> with one dimension very small (Nx3, for instance)?

for lfp map these are [N] and [N/3,3] where N is total chunksize, as
you can see with these commands:
ncks -O -4 --cnk_plc=all --cnk_map=lfp ~/nco/data/in.nc ~/foo.nc
ncks -m --cdl --hdn ~/foo.nc

> Those were the use cases where the default chunking in netcdf4
> killed us.

We may change the NCO default map from rd1 to lfp or something
similar in 4.4.1.

Your feedback is helpful!
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(