Re: [netcdfgroup] Building alternative file format backends for NetCDF

Yes. The netcdf-c library now (and for the last few years)
uses a dispatch/wrapping layer that allows wrapping
various sources (e.g. opendap, pnetcdf, etc)
to provide the client with a consistent netcdf-C api.

I would welcome an outside group attempting to
add a new dispatch for a different format. I can provide
help in doing this.

I wrote a somewhat out-of-date document about the
dispatch layer some time ago. I am attaching it
and will try to create a more up-to-date version.
and send it out later. Also, you might look at, for example,
the libsrc5 code in the netcdf source distribution.
The code in libsrc5 wraps pnetcdf and is probably the
simplest example to browse.

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

p.s. do not be fooled by the name dispatch.doc; it is really
a Doxygen file (i.e. text).

stephen.pascoe@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

We have been maintaining a C-level interface between the UK MetOffice PP-format
and the CDAT/CDMS tool for many years and are interested in exploring whether
we can port this code to work directly inside the NetCDF library.  Given that
the NetCDF library already works transparently with OPeNDAP, there must be a
format backend layer of some sort.  Indeed I remember asking a question about
this at some GO-ESSP meeting several years ago.  IIRC Rus Rew was encouraging
that it would be possible in principle, and that there was already an interface
layer that we could use.

We would appreciate any advice on the feasibility of this and any pointers to
where in the codebase we would find the interface point to add additional
format backends (for read only).  I've cloned the github repo but the codebase
is quite extensive.

Many thanks,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK