Re: [netcdfgroup] changing from fixed to unlimited dimensions in place

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Russ Rew > record or unlimited dimension
in place without having to rewrite the

>  > entire file.
>
> No, it requires rewriting.

yes , but...

>  > In my case I have a bunch of 2D (lat, lon) or 3D (lon,lat,lev) plus time
> > netcdf 4 files where time is the last dimension (1 time per file) that I
> > want to concatenate with the nco utility. The files were created with
> > time a fixed dimension of length one and are large and nco seems to be
> > making a copy of the whole file when converting the time to an unlimited
> > dimension.

If you are concatenating  then you should be able to make a copy of only
the first file, making a copy with the time dimension changed to unlimited,
then add the others to that. Not sure of the NCO incantation to do that,
but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't doable.

A quick look art this docs:

http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.html#Concatenation)

finds this:
"""
ncpdq makes it possible to concatenate files along any dimension, not just
the record dimension. First, use ncpdq to convert the dimension to be
concatenated (i.e., extended with data from other files) into the record
dimension. Second, use ncrcat to concatenate these files. Finally, if
desirable, use ncpdq to revert to the original dimensionality
"""
I think "record dimension" is the NCO name for unlimited dimension.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@xxxxxxxx