Re: [netcdfgroup] Failing to configure netcdf-4.3.1.1

On 3/4/14, 1:06 PM, Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
I have a ROCKS cluster running Centos 5.

I am building my applications with the prefix of /share/apps. My ultimate goal is to build GMT which requires netcdf with hdf5.

I have installed hdf5-1.8.12 and zlig-1.2.8

I am trying to install netcdf-4.3.1.1

I used the following to try to configure netcdf

CFLAGS=-I/share/apps/include CPPFLAGS=-I/share/apps/include LDFLAGS=-L/share/apps/lib ./configure --prefix=/share/apps

*The compilation fails with*

checking for library containing deflate... none required
checking for floor in -lm... yes
I'm not familiar with Centos 5 or the ROCKS cluster environment, but let me take a stab at this.

The 'checking for library containing deflate' line looks a little odd to me. I would expect it to say '-lz' instead of 'none required'. My guess might be that the configure test is trying to link against the hdf5 library but is failing because of undefined symbols related to zlib (you mention in a different email that you had compiled hdf5 against /share/apps/zlib-1.2.8). I see this sometimes when working with static libraries in non-standard locations.

If you change your LDFLAGS to "LDFLAGS=-L/share/apps/lib -lz", do you see a different result? You may need to modify your CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to also accommodate your zlib install.

-Ward