Re: [netcdfgroup] unlimited dimension and chunking breaking in 4.3.1.1?

Hi Ben,

> A couple of questions.  Your suggestion of setting the the chunking
> explicit doesn't seem like it would help as one first has to define the
> variable before you can set the chunk size and we are crashing when
> defining it unless I am missing something. We did notice that there are
> several code changes between 4.2.1 and 4.3.1.1 in the
> nc4_find_default_chunksizes2 in nc4var.c which is where we are crashing.
>
> In 4.2.1 if the dimension is unlimited the the chunksize is set to 1 and
> it looks like one would skip the code where we are crashing:
>
> suggested_size = (pow((double)DEFAULT_CHUNK_SIZE/(num_values * type_size),
>                  1/(double)(var->ndims - num_set)) * var->dim[d]->len - .5);
>
> In 4.3.1.1 the setting of the unlimited dimension chunksize to 1 was
> removed. I'm guessing the code previous to 4.3.1.1 that set the
> chunksize to 1 for unlimited dimensions was saving us. We did notice
> that the latest version of nc4var.c on github has extra code after the
> line in question for set chunksizes of 1-D record variables as well as a
> few other changes so I'm wondering if this is a bug fix?

I committed a change to make sure the statement above wouldn't divide by
zero if num_values is zero, but I'm not sure that was the cause of the
crash you encountered.

> Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce this in a small
> example program but has there been some change underneath the hood
> that that might have occurred that we should be taking a look at?

Could you please capture the output of "ncdump -sh yourfile.nc", for the
file you were able to create using netCDF version 4.2.1, and send it to
support-netcdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?  With that, we might be able to
reproduce the problem using the ncgen utility.

Thanks.

--Russ