[netcdfgroup] Compressed sizes of netCDF variables

An example:

I have a netCDF file with 5 2-byte integer variables, each of dimensions 100 x
100 but containing different values. The data file on disk has a size of
(roughly) 100,000 bytes.

I then compress the variables individually using the in-built zip, and get file
size of 50,000 bytes. So my average compression across all the variables is a
factor of 2.

However, I'd like to monitor how well each individual variable has compressed.
Is there a way to determine the compressed size of a variable within the netCDF
file?

Thanks!

Tim Patterson