Re: [netcdfgroup] Comment and question

Thanks for you kind words regarding ncdf4, Roy.

The maintenance of the R package that supplies a netcdf interface is
something that I have considered as well. I first released it over 10 years
ago and at some point it will likely not be possible for me to continue
sole-sourcing it. One of the biggest issues is support for Windows and the
Mac. Since I don't use R on WIndows and have no access to a Mac it's always
a struggle to keep the package working on those platforms. Please correct
me if I'm wrong, but the netcdf folks support binaries for Windows but not
in the format needed for R applications, which is mingw. So there is the
burden of creating Windows netcdf library binaries as well.

In the end, if the wider netcdf community was interested of the idea of
transitioning ncdf4 (and my other netcdf package, ncview, as well I
suppose) to a more Unidata or community supported model, as Roy may be
hinting, I certainly would be all for that.

Regards,

--Dave