[netcdfgroup] Secured OpenDAP: location of .httprc file, current working directory and $HOME environment variable

  • To: netCDF Mail List <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [netcdfgroup] Secured OpenDAP: location of .httprc file, current working directory and $HOME environment variable
  • From: plieger <plieger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:18:33 +0200
Hi all,

I have a question about the netcdf 4.3.2 library and accessing ESGF opendap servers which are secured with x509 client authentication.

I usually store config settings about my certificate and ssl in the .httprc file, I have several of them at different places. In the past I used the $HOME environment variable to designate which one to use, but this does not seem to work with netcdf 4.3.2.

As described in http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf/DAP-Support.html chapter 4.12.4 HTTP Configuration, you can either set the current working directory to this place or export the HOME variable to the directory where this file resides. I found this very useful functionality (now I have to change the working directory all the time).

This is an example of such an .httprc file:
HTTP.SSL.VALIDATE=0
HTTP.COOKIEJAR=/someplace/.dods_cookies
HTTP.SSL.CERTIFICATE=/someplace//certs/creds.pem
HTTP.SSL.KEY=/someplace/creds.pem
HTTP.SSL.CAPATH=/someplace/esg_trusted_certificates/

Is it possible to get this back working again?

Thanks,
Maarten Plieger

--
Maarten Plieger
KNMI, R&D Information and Observation Technology, De Bilt