Re: [netcdfgroup] HDF error, and now what?

  • To: ezaron <ezaron@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] HDF error, and now what?
  • From: "David W. Pierce" <dpierce@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:44:50 -0700
Seems like the null hypothesis is simply that the files are corrupted,
perhaps because of disk or copying errors. A few bad values in many
terabytes of data seem consistent with that at first glance. Have you
tried remaking the source files on a separate disk, if that is
possible? Or are there other copies elsewhere that can be checksummed
and compared to your copy?

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding, and your basic point is that the HDF
layer should cope with disk errors more gracefully? I don't know how
the compression works in detail, but I've always imagined that once
you get a error in a compressed file you can't recover the subsequent
data very easily. If you *could* recover data subsequent to an error,
that would imply some level of repeated information, which presumably
the compression is supposed to remove in the first place.

Regards,

--Dave