[netcdfgroup] Example of time units/values for generic months in climatological statistics?

I want to store values in NetCDF as climatological statistics, and I
haven't found a good example or explanation of how this is best done for my
use case.

For each lon/lat point in a grid I compute distribution fitting values for
each of the twelve months, and I want to store these values for later use
when running various calculations on data sets that share the same grid.
 So for each lon/lat point in the grid there are twelve values, one per
month.  The time values therefore don't adhere to the normal conventions
where any specific calendar dates are applicable, but it's not clear from
any of the documentation I've seen how you best represent generic month
values as time coordinate axis values.  For example how do you represent
"January" using a valid udunits for the time dimension's/variable's units
attribute? The data values I'm storing do have a pair of associated
"calibration period" dates associated with them, in that they're computed
from data beginning at one date and ending at another (i.e. what we refer
to as the "calibration period") -- maybe I just use the calibration period
start date within the udunits string, such as "days since
<calibration_start_date>"?  For my purposes I can easily work with ordinal
values (i.e. 0 = January, 1 = February, etc.) but in order to conveniently
use the data sets within my Java code as GridDatasets it appears that the
time coordinate variable needs to adhere to a conventional representation
of time values with standard udunits, and it's not clear what (if any) best
practice for this is.

Can anyone advise as to how this is best represented in NetCDF for my use
case?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insight.

--James