Re: [netcdfgroup] FW: [DIWG] netCDF I/O performance concerns

Given that there is essentially no information being given about the file (such
as a header dump - ncdump -hk filename - so as to get both the header info and
the filetype)  and no information on how he is trying to read the data, it is
almost impossible to say what is going on.

-Roy

On Sep 26, 2014, at 3:26 PM, "Moroni, David F (398M)"
<David.F.Moroni@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear NetCDF Group,
>
> Please refer to the discussion below as to the nature of the netCDF
> performance concerns identified by Bill Rossow, who has been CC'd here.
>
> Please address any questions you have as to the nature of this issue with
> Bill directly.
>
> Respectfully,
> David

> David Moroni
> Ocean Wind and Scatterometry Data Engineer
> Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory
> 4800 Oak Grove Dr
> M/S 158-242
> Pasadena, CA 91109
> Phone:  818.354.2038
> Fax:  818.353.2718
>
> From: <Moroni>, David F Moroni <David.F.Moroni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Friday, September 26, 2014 3:20 PM
> To: William Rossow <wbrossow@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: "esdswg-interoperability@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> <esdswg-interoperability@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [DIWG] netCDF I/O performance concerns
>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> To better diagnose your issue, it's good to know your baseline technical
>> approach.
>>
>> For starters, it seems like you are working with large volume data files,
>> where as you put it "data size precludes the second" option of storing all
>> of the data into an array. NetCDF allows generous flexibility to precisely
>> read in specific data variables as well as their specific array elements
>> (think of the concept of subsetting) without having to read in the entire
>> file or the entire variable array into memory. You can go even further with
>> this and use OPeNDAP servers, where you can remotely download and read into
>> memory the very specific bits of data that are needed for processing without
>> having to download the entire netCDF file.
>>
>> I've worked with both flat binary files and netCDF files simultaneously with
>> the various types of data processing code, and aside from memory consumption
>> issues which can be addressed by either hardware or software configurations,
>> I've never observed significant differences in processing speed based upon
>> the source of the data.
>>
>> This is why I'm intrigued by the issue you've observed and think it warrants
>> further investigation into the technical side of your approach.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> From: William Rossow <wbrossow@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Friday, September 26, 2014 3:03 PM
>> To: David F Moroni <David.F.Moroni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: netCDF I/O performance concerns
>>
>>> David, All too technical... the basic point is that both of the approaches
>>> you mention are impractical... data size precludes the second and
>>> performance really drags with the first.

>>> --
>>> Dr. William B. Rossow
>>> Distinguished Professor of Remote Sensing
>>> CREST at The City College of New York
>>> Steinman Hall (T-107)
>>> 140th Street and Convent Avenue
> [...]

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst