Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF4 problem

Group,

Please ignore my warning on 20141029 about unreadable files after
chunking with NCO, nccopy, and h5repack. Although chunking can create
unreadable files in some circumstances, the specific problems that I
reported were false positives, i.e., I incorrectly diagnosed them.
NCO, nccopy, and h5repack work well for the examples given (below).
An unlikely coincidence of issues fooled my diagnosis with ncwa.
I'll try to be more thorough/careful before responding about potential
problems on this list. Apologies for any inconvenience this caused.

cz

zender@roulee:~$ time ncks -O -4 --cnk_dmn latitude,4 --cnk_dmn longitude,4 --cnk_dmn time,512 ~/2014.nc ~/2014_ch_ncks.nc
real    2m27.044s
user    0m39.915s
sys     1m40.638s
zender@roulee:~$ time nccopy -c time/512,latitude/4,longitude/4 ~/2014.nc ~/2014_ch_nccopy.nc
real    2m27.931s
user    0m39.730s
sys     1m42.749s
zender@roulee:~$ ncks -O -4 ~/2014.nc ~/2014.nc4
zender@roulee:~$ time h5repack -l u10m:CHUNK=512x4x4 -i ~/2014.nc4 -o ~/2014_ch_h5repack.nc
real    0m2.907s
user    0m0.479s
sys     0m0.515s
zender@roulee:~$ ncwa -O ~/2014_ch_ncks.nc ~/foo.nc
zender@roulee:~$ ncwa -O ~/2014_ch_nccopy.nc ~/foo.nc
zender@roulee:~$ ncwa -O ~/2014_ch_h5repack.nc ~/foo.nc
zender@roulee:~$

--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(