[netcdfgroup] what is status of netCDF3 vs netCDF4?

NetCDF'ers
We've changed many of our files from netCDF3 to netCDF4 both to take advantage of internal packing but also because they work better in some software (NCL). We have heard from users of problems reading the newer format. Often they don't have their applications or netCDF library upgraded to the latest versions but sometimes, software they relied on isn't available for netCDF4. For example, EXCEL does not have a netCDF4 interface and a package called "FAN" probably doesn't. Should we be assuming users and software developers ought to be netCDF4 ready or is netCDF4 more of a language for advanced users and there is no expectation that users use it as opposed to netCDF3? Should unidata be facilitating the update of packages to netCDF4? I'm thinking more of local software such as on this page http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/Contrib.html but also packages like EXCEL. We do suggest users can convert the files back to netCDF3 if possible but there are downsides to that for the users.

Thanks,
Cathy Smith

NOAA/ESRL PSD and CU CIRES
303-497-6263
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/cathy.smith/

Emails about data/webpages may get quicker responses from emailing
esrl.psd.data@xxxxxxxx