Re: [netcdfgroup] what is status of netCDF3 vs netCDF4?

Hello all,

I just wanted to jump in regarding the split after 4.1.3.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Gus Correa <gus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/06/2014 02:06 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Nick Papior Andersen
>> <nickpapior@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:nickpapior@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> (…)

The original idea behind splitting the libraries, as I understand it, was
to make it easier to release updates and bug fixes without having to
release a new version of every interface. This way, a critical bug fix in
netcdf-c would not have to wait for a bug fix in netcdf-fortran, or vice
versa. This style of distributing the libraries is more cumbersome if you
continue to look at netcdf as a monolithic set of interfaces, but if you
consider it to be a set of independent interfaces, it makes a lot more
sense.

The actual *releases* from 4.3.0 onward on github contain the configure
script and other autotools-generated files. The code in the development
branch does not, as there isn’t much need to track changes made to these
files. They can be generated on the fly with autoreconf -if as needed by
anybody working with unstable development code. Which you are of course
welcome to do.

CMake integration is also in place for the C and Fortran interfaces; it is
still pending (I believe) for the C++ interface, but will be included there
as well. One of the strengths of CMake is the fact that it is so much more
cross-platform capable than autotools, which is why it’s seeing such strong
adoption rates amongst software developers. We’re using CMake to allow for
easier compilation on Windows in an MSVC environment, and are not planning
on abandoning autotools in the near future :).

Another benefit of adopting CMake is that it has let us move away from cron
jobs and perl scripts to a more formal, modern Continuous Integration
testing environment, CDash. The netcdf public CDash dashboards may be found
here:

   - http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=netcdf-c
   - http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=netcdf-fortran

Coupled with tools like Virtualbox and Vagrant, this has made our
cross-platform testing environment *very* portable and *very* extendable.
As an example of this, it took me about 20 minutes total, earlier this
week, to add 32/64-bit versions of the latest fedora and ubuntu linux
distributions to our testbed.

I don’t mean to derail the conversation, but I did want to make sure folks
knew that the autotools scripts are still in place for our releases through
github, or those releases downloaded from our ftp site. I would be very
hesitant to make such a broad change without any sort of warning :).

-Ward

Nevertheless, after about NetcCDF version 4.1.3,