Re: [netcdfgroup] what is status of netCDF3 vs netCDF4?

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Gus Correa <gus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PS - Yes, I do understand the initial thread was about
> NetCDF3 vs NetCDF4, which is a separate discussion in itself.

Bringing it back ---

One of the main reasons users don't use netcdf4 is that it's substantially
harder to build (and more heavy weight). As (at least for the c libs) the
netcdf4 libs fully support netcdf3, there really isn't any reason for all
client code to use the netcdf4 libraries, regardless of whether they are
actually using netcdf4 files.

So anything Unidata can do to make it easier for end users to use netcdf4
will really help:

Easier to build

Good binary distributions (for Window and probably OS-X anyway)

???

-Chris

> --

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@xxxxxxxx