Re: [netcdfgroup] what is status of netCDF3 vs netCDF4?

Re: OS X binaries

I regularly build on OS X and linux machines and have not had any difficulties
unique to OS X. The pre-packaged versions via macports or aptitude are
sometimes lagging behind the latest release, but once I figured out that the c
and fortran libs were separately packaged, I’ve not had problems building from
source from the Unidata web pages.

-Ed

> On Nov 6, 2014, at 3:06 PM, Ward Fisher <wfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Thanks all for the input re: bundling the different interfaces; it’s clear
> this is more convenient. I would argue that the benefit is not strictly to us
> developers at the expense of the poor users (as somebody put it :) ); the
> split makes it much easier to provide support for individual interfaces, as
> well as faster bug fixes as previously mentioned.
>
> There are significant technical hurdles to recombining the interfaces into a
> single project, as it was for versions 4.1.3 and prior. There may be avenues
> for making distribution more transparent and easier to keep track of from the
> end user point-of-view, however. I may start a new thread once I’ve explored
> a couple of ideas.
>
> Regarding the question below about binary distributions for OSX and Windows.
> We provide Windows binaries because, frankly, building with Visual Studio can
> be a bit of a mess, and providing the libraries packaged with dependencies
> seemed like the easiest way to head off a lot of problems. These can be
> downloaded here:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/winbin.html
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/winbin.html>
> I wasn’t under the impression that there was much need for OSX binary
> distributions, since OSX is essentially BSD and works with autotools and/or
> CMake. I know that the popular package managers homebrew and macports have
> netcdf packages (which we do not maintain), and had always thought these must
> be sufficient, as nobody has said otherwise. I’d be really interested to know
> if these were insufficient!
>
> Thanks all,
>
> -Ward

Edward D. Zaron