Re: [netcdfgroup] what is status of netCDF3 vs netCDF4?

Chris

>> One reason for this is that the CF standard does not address groups, so the
>> many of us that try to keep our file CF-compliant end up with netCDF3
>> compliant by default.

Regarding CF compliance and groups.

You can define CF-compliant  attributes in any group.

For example, here's a case of a CDL file with the ":Conventions " attribute at
root (like happens for netCDF-3) and the same attribute at a group called g18

netcdf in_grp_3 {

  :Conventions = "CF-1.0";

  group: g18 {

    :Conventions = "CF-1.0";

For any software that handles netCDF-4, then it's just a matter to read the CF
metadata at any group.

There are some examples of CDL files with these cases with NCO

http://nco.sourceforge.net/

Reference:

http://cfconventions.org/

-Pedro