[netcdfgroup] Underscores in hdf5 function names while compiling on windows

I am trying to compile netcdf with hdf5 support on windows. The hdf5 library
has been previously built and works (we use it in an application without
issue).

However netcdf object files on compilation have an underscore (_) in front of
all hdf5 functions such as H5Fclose etc. Due to this nothing that uses HDF5
actually links.

How is the underscore getting there and how can I get rid of it? It is not
there in the HDF5 library or include files but somehow netcdf seems to be
renaming those functions.

Note that everything is static libraries. No dlls have been built or set to be
built.

Thank you.

saurabh