Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF-4 for Windows

The pre-built netcdf binaries *should* work with those packages, so it
would be fine to refer people to those sites I think. However, the
installer does come bundled with the dependencies (libhdf5.dll,
libcurl.dll, zlib.dll, etc) that netcdf was built against. The issue people
run in to is that these libraries live inside a directory and need to be
either manually copied into a folder on the system PATH or have the folder
added to the path.

When building out the packaging system, I was loathe to do either of these
automatically because I didn’t want to overwrite any pre-existing
libraries, or modify the system path. This is becoming a larger issue,
however, so I should probably revisit these decisions.

Now that I’ve thought about it a moment, it seems to be that originally I
ran into incompatibilities between the zlib.dll which libhdf5 links against
and the zlib.dll which libcurl was linked against. Rather than digging in
to it too deeply, I built and linked both against the same zlib,
eliminating the issue. This was maybe 18-24 months ago, however; I don’t
know if it would still be an issue.

Since, as you mention, this was not apparent from the webpage where you
could download the pre-built software, I will see about making this more
clear; I think there is a line or two that should be made more prominent to
anybody installing the binaries what *exactly* needs to happen to get the
utilities to work.

-Ward

All,