Re: [netcdfgroup] Problem with nc_inq_grps and ncdump reading HDF5 file

Hi Andrew,

You've run across a limitation in the number of simultaneously open groups
permitted in netCDF-4.  The groups documentation
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/group__groups.html> says

... Encoding both the open file id and group id in a single integer
currently limits the number of groups per netCDF-4 file to no more than
32767. Similarly, the number of simultaneously open netCDF-4 files in one
program context is limited to 32767.

I think both those limits should actually be 65535 (== 2**16 - 1), but in
any case, your HDF5 file has 119254 groups, which is too many for netCDF-4
to handle.

The only workaround I can think of would be to close some groups if you
don't need to have them all open simultaneously.

--Russ