Re: [netcdfgroup] Sort of Inverse of netcdf diskless mode

Roy-
we looked at something like this a while ago.
One problem is at what level is it done:
in netcdf library, in Linux kernel?

If we do it in the netcdf library, then we
in effect have an in-memory cache of files
and as with any cache, we need to manage it.
That means a purge policy.

Also, doing it in the netcdf library will
not automatically make it available to, say,
the HDF5 library. For that to occur, it would
have to be implemented in the linux kernel.

If anyone has a good solution for this, I would
welcome it.

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal wrote:
Hi All:

Netcdf now has the option of  creating or reading a file entirely in memory, a
nice option to have. I am wondering if there is any way to do sort of the
inverse.  Some web libraries allow for a pure binary download of a file into
memory, so what I have sitting there is essentially a binary image of the
netcdf file.  Is there any way to open that image without writing to disk?

As an example, the R httr library allows this.  I can for example download to memory a netcdf
file from ERDDAP, and if I then do a binary save in httr and then read it back in using the
ncdf4 package, it all works great.   But it would be even better if I could skip the extra
steps, and “open” the image in ncdf4 directly  (ncdf4 btw can do whatever the
netcdf libraries can do, so it is a question of the base libraries).

Thanks,

-Roy

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or
NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new address and phone***
110 Shaffer Road
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: Roy.Mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx www: http://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

"From those who have been given much, much will be expected" "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" -MLK Jr.