[netcdfgroup] Fast interconversion between netCDF4 and netCDF-classic

Hi,

We’ve got a LOT of data in netCDF4 format that we think, for a few reasons,
we would probably like in netCDF4 Classic Model format.

The data itself does not require any of the added features of netCDF4.

Converting it all with nccopy would take a very very long time. I have a
suspicion that under the hood there will be very little different between
the files. I’ve done a test with a 400Mb test file, there are only 168 bytes
different between the netcdf4 and netcdf4-classic versions of the data.

Is there a smart/fast/safe way to convert netCDF4 data “in-place” to
netCDF4-classic?

Thanks

Aidan