Re: [netcdfgroup] How old is NetCDF?

Hi Jennifer,

Glenn Davis and I developed and released netCDF 1.0 in June, 1989.

Here's a brief description
<https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/background.html> of the
background and evolution of the netCDF C interface, mentioning how others
were involved (Lloyd Treinish, Michael Gough, Dave Raymond, Joe Fahle,
Angel Li, and Dave Fulker). I still have a printed copy of the original
user guide, published as NCAR Technical Note TN-334+1A, from June 1989,
"netCDF User'sGuide, An Interface for Data Access, Version 1.0"

I sent an earlier email proposing the first Unidata netCDF C interface
specification for comments in September 1988, before Glenn and I
implemented the software it described, but I no longer have a copy of that
email.

--Russ