[netcdfgroup] Diff between record and non-record data

It's been a few years since I've looked at netCDF at all, so this is a
refresher. Also, this has no doubt been covered a million times, but I
am confused about the nature of the data block.

If I understand the header/data parts correctly (which, I may not),
non-record can be 'infinite'? Rather, the non-record, fixed-length
parts should occur prior to the record data? How does one tell what is
record versus non-record?

I think this is as a function of the var nelems, dimid, etc, but it's
not especially clear from the BNF grammar, or associated verbiage. For
example, what is meant by 'interleaved'? As a cross section of the
specified variables? Also taking into account spiked variable array
dimensions?

I'm sure I'm barely scratching the surface here... Insights are welcome.

Thank you...

Regards,

Michael