[netcdfgroup] Fwd: Help with reading cdf attr_list attr

It seems to me that possibly I am looking at a dialect of netCDF,
literally "Convention" = "CF-1.0":

i.e. http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/netcdf/CF-20010629.htm

Which has a ton of theoretical, this field, that field, this, that,
and the other attribute name, purpose, etc.

However, what I am interested in finding are apparent deviations from
the core netCDF file structure. I am 99% positive that the file format
as described in the VERSION \x01 format specification is not being
adhered to where gatt_list (more generally, att_list). The first
attribute has a type associated with it that I can find, but ones
thereafter seem to ignore this field. But even that is inconsistent.

Even taking the separation between header (meta description) and data
(fixed, followed by record, data), it is possible i am misinterpreting
the relationship between attributes, dimensions, etc, but not if I
read straight from the BNF and work it out like according to its
logical AST outworking.

Is there no one on this list who has any knowledge of this, or where
else I might be likely to find these details?

Thank you...