[netcdfgroup] Using IDL to generate NetCDF 4 files

Hi everyone,

One of the data producers that I am working with is using IDL to generate
NetCDF-4 files.

I am not sure about the code that he is using to generate these files but I
am unable to read them in THREDDS.

An ncdump of the file looks like this:

netcdf baa_b05kmnn_20150101 {
dimensions:
        time = 1 ;
        lat = 3600 ;
        lon = 7200 ;
variables:
        int time(time) ;
                string time:long_name = "reference time of sst field" ;
                string time:standard_name = "time" ;
                string time:axis = "T" ;
                string time:calendar = "Gregorian" ;
                string time:units = "seconds since 1981-01-01 00:00:00" ;
                string time:comment = "Nominal time of Level 4 analysis" ;
                string time:coverage_content_type = "coordinate" ;
        float lat(lat) ;
                string lat:long_name = "latitude" ;
                string lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
                string lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
                string lat:axis = "Y" ;
                lat:valid_min = -90.f ;
                lat:valid_max = 90.f ;
                string lat:comment = "equirectangular projection" ;
                string lat:coverage_content_type = "coordinate" ;
                string lat:grid_mapping = "crs" ;
        float lon(lon) ;
                string lon:long_name = "longitude" ;
                string lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
                string lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
                string lon:axis = "X" ;
                lon:valid_min = -180.f ;
                lon:valid_max = 180.f ;
                string lon:comment = "equirectangular projection" ;
                string lon:coverage_content_type = "coordinate" ;
                string lon:grid_mapping = "crs" ;
        byte surface_flag(lat, lon) ;
                string surface_flag:long_name = "Pixel characteristics flag
array" ;
                string surface_flag:units = "none" ;
                string surface_flag:coordinates = "lon lat" ;
                string surface_flag:comment = "An array in the same
dimension as the data array classifies land, missing, and ice pixels that
are all flaged by the same missing_value in the data array(s)." ;
                surface_flag:flag_values = 0s, 1s, 2s, 4s ;
                string surface_flag:flag_meanings =
"valid-water,land,missing,ice" ;
                string surface_flag:coverage_content_type =
"thematicClassification" ;
                string surface_flag:grid_mapping = "crs" ;

I guess the issue is arriving from the prefix 'string' which probably crept
in while generating the attributes. When I get rid of the 'string' and
recreate the NetCDF file, it works absolutely fine.

Since I don't have an idea as to how IDL works, can someone here guide me
as to how this can be avoided while generating the netcdf file from IDL?

This issue arises only when the data provided creates NetCDF 4 files. The
NetCDF 3 files run just fine.

Any help / documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ajay