[netcdfgroup] NetCDF-F: PGI build-failure of tst03_f77_v2

I've seen this error in the built-in regression-tests for NetCDF-F

   tst03_f77_v2.o: In function `.C1_283':
   tst03_f77_v2.F:(.data+0x84): undefined reference to `tests_'
   make[3]: [tst03_f77_v2] Error 2 (ignored)
   FAIL: tst03_f77_v2

Following this discussion-thread

   https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg12845.html

I see that I can build NetCDF-C with this flag

   --disable-v2

and then the NetCDF-F test works, the tradeoff being that the NetCDF-2 API is disabled.

Besides using NetCDF in my own work, I'm trying to build it for everyone else on the cluster as well. I'm trying to "bulletproof" it in the sense of (a) enabling all the capabilities I can, and (b) making sure it passes all the regression tests. The question now, is whether I want to disable the NetCDF-2 in the PGI build, or ignore the failingtst03_f77_v2test.

So what I want to know is:

   (1) Is the NetCDF-2 API incompatible with the PGI compiler, or
   (2) Does thetst03_f77_v2source use a Fortran/C interface that is not
   compatible with the PGI compiler?

If it's (1), I'm inclined to disable the API. If it's (2), I'm inclined to keep the interface but make a note that the test should be ignored.
Can anyone clarify here?
Thanks,

                Carl

contain
confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by