[netcdfgroup] Cannot create cookie file on opening a URL

Using NetCDF-4.3.3.1 c library, I see "Cannot create cookie file" on
accessing all URL's,

I found this in the source code.  oc2/ocinternal.h defines OCDIR as "oc".
This means that the directory

/tmp/oc

is created by the first user to use the library and given user-only
privileges to read/write/execute.  On one machine, I apparently first ran
this version of netCDF so that directory is mine and nobody else can write
to it.  On another server, somebody else wound up creating it, so my
processes can't write cookie files to it.

Shouldn't that directory be created so that it can be written to by multiple
users?  Or create /tmp/username_oc/ instead so users aren't competing for
this directory