Re: [netcdfgroup] Retiring soon

Russ

It has been a pleasure working with you all these years, and you surely be
missed.

I happen to be at this very moment going through lines of netCDF code written
in 1993 :-)

HDF Explorer uses an HDF4 version from around 1998, and probably not a very
well-known fact to the community is that
HDF4 *can* read netCDF (3)  files (and also CDF files, I believe).

HDF4 uses a netCDF 2.x version, I think, and that version is what I use to read
the classic netCDF format in HDF Explorer.

That as of now, in 2015, the 2.x version can read netCDF files written today
tells much about the robustness of the format

Since HDF Explorer also links with a HDF5 library, I never used the netCDF 4
API on it, since it can read netCDF4 files
using the HDF5 library .

Well, until now, because now, I am trying to HDF Explorer to read files
remotely with OpenDAP... the shortcut solution
is obviously to use the netCDF4 API , that includes an OpenDAP library (oc2),
so it would be just out of the box

The problem is that some names of the netCDF 2.x and netCDF 4.x libraries were
kept the same, and some
completely changed their definition, so using the two libraries netCDF 2.x and
netCDF 4.x  together is not possible.

I would like to keep this old HDF4 (and netCDF 2.x) version in HDF Explorer, so
I think the only
possible solution to this is to actually rename all the netCDF 2.x names.

Pedro Vicente
pedro.vicente@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.space-research.org/