Re: [netcdfgroup] Anyone interested in netCDF on mobile platforms? (was: Re: anyone interested in netCDF on Android?)

  • To: Ed Hartnett <edwardjameshartnett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Anyone interested in netCDF on mobile platforms? (was: Re: anyone interested in netCDF on Android?)
  • From: Ward Fisher <wfisher@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 08:51:24 -0600
Hello all,

I just wanted to jump in real quick re: netCDF on mobile platforms.  In
regardfs to netCDF3, at least, it is possible to leverage the `cmake` build
system to create an iOS version of libnetcdf.  I experimented with this
during the original integration of cmake into the netCDF build system, and
it should still hold true.  If it doesn't, we are always open to pull
requests, and/or I'd be happy to help bring the code/build in line so that
there isn't a roadblock on our end for mobile development.

A quick google search suggests that there is a method by which you can use
cmake to generate Android projects, but I have no experience with that.

I hope this is helpful; without having to focus on the build system,
developers can ideally focus on writing the apps that will use libnetcdf to
do interesting things on these new platforms!

Thanks all,

-Ward