Re: [netcdfgroup] binary larger than text file

I am not completely familiar with the changes from netCDF 3 to netCDF 4 but I
believe the 'string' type is a variable length string.  It looks to me as if
you are putting one character in each string, the LenRecord is not needed.
This would probably require storage of a pointer of perhaps 8 bytes and a
string length (of value 1) of perhaps another 8 bytes to define each
character, increasing the size of the file by about a factor of 17.

What you probably want is either a character type:
  char record(Natoms, LenRecord) ;
or a string type without the length of the string specified:
  string record(Natoms) ;