From: Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.barker@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 28/10/2015 19:59 (GMT+00:00)
To: Matthew Jones <M.Jones3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] netcdf buffers

I'm no expert (particularly not with HPC), but you could be seeing effects from
chunking. Netcdf4/HDF5 groups the arrays in chunks to allow multiple unlimited
dimensions and compression, etc.

One result is that you can't read less than one chunk of data at once. So
maximum performance is reached when you are reading one chunk at a time.

Also, you want the chunking configuration to match your access patterns. The
default may not be well suited to your use case.

Google a bit for discussion of how to select good chunking.

-CHB

On Oct 28, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Matthew Jones