Re: [netcdfgroup] netcdf buffers

I can't remember what happens with contiguous files, really. (I suggest you
ask the HDF5 team.) Best performance is going to be achieved through
chunking, I think.

When testing, you must write the file in different chunksizes, and then do
different read sizes. Both are significant.

NetCDF-4 does no data buffering. Whatever data requests you make, read or
write, are translated into HDF5 calls. HDF5 does data buffering, and you
have some control over the size of the buffers.

I suggest you construct a simple test case in netCDF-4, using chunking. If
that does not resolve your problems, construct the same test as a HDF5
program, without netCDF-4, and take it to the HDF5 team.

Thanks,
Ed