[netcdfgroup] netCDF 4.4.0-rc5 now available

Hello all,

I’m happy to announce the availability of netCDF 4.4.0-rc5. Release
Candidate 4 was made available yesterday, but an unrelated bug report
(before I could make the announcement) motivated the release of rc5 today.

The change set for this release is fairly large; I’ve included the relevant
release notes below, but it would be much appreciated if projects and
developers test this new version with their project. The key new feature is
CDF-5 support, based on code contributed by Wei-keng Liao from the
Parallel-netCDF team.

In terms of planned features, netCDF 4.4.0 is now “feature complete”.
Assuming there are no major issues reported (and I am ever the optimist),
we should have a full release in short order.

Below are the relevant links:

   - Download: https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/releases/tag/v4.4.0-rc5
   - Documentation: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs_rc
   - Full release notes:
   https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/blob/v4.4.0-rc5/RELEASE_NOTES.md

Thank you all, have a great day,

-Ward

Ward Fisher
wfisher@xxxxxxxx
UCAR/Unidata - Software Engineer
------------------------------
RC-4/5 combined release notes 4.4.0-RC5 Released - November 11, 2015

   - Added a fix for https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/issues/149, which
   was reported several times in quick succession within an hour of the RC4
   release.

4.4.0-RC4 Released - November 10, 2015

   -

   Added CDM-5 support via new mode flag called NC_64BIT_DATA (alias
   NC_CDF5).

   Major kudos to Wei-Keng Liao for all the effort he put into getting this
   to work.

   This cascaded into a number of other changes.
   1. Renamed libsrcp5 -> libsrcp because pnetcdf can do parallel io for
      CDF-1, CDF-2 and CDF-5, not just CDF-5.
      2. Given #1, then the NC_PNETCDF mode flag becomes a subset of
      NC_MPIIO, so made NC_PNETCDF an alias for NC_MPII.
      3. NC_FORMAT_64BIT is now deprecated. Use NC_FORMAT_64BIT_OFFSET.

Further information regarding the CDF-5 file format specification may be
found here: http://cucis.ece.northwestern.edu/projects/PnetCDF/CDF-5.html

   -

   Modified configure.ac to provide finer control over parallel
   support. Specifically, add flags for:
   1. HDF5_PARALLEL when hdf5 library has parallel enabled
      2. —disable-parallel4 to be used when we do not want
      netcdf-4 to use parallelism even if hdf5 has it enabled.
   -

   Deprecating various extended format flags.

The various extended format flags of the format NC_FORMAT_FOO have been
refactored into the form NC_FORMATX_FOO. The old flags still exist but have
been marked as deprecated and will be removed at some point. This was done
to avoid confusion between the extended format flags and the format flags
NC_FORMAT_CLASSIC, NC_FORMAT_64BIT_OFFSET, etc. The mapping of
deprecated-to-new flags is as follows:
Deprecated Replaced with NC_FORMAT_NC3 NC_FORMATX_NC3 NC_FORMAT_NC_HDF5
NC_FORMATX_NC_HDF5 NC_FORMAT_NC4 NC_FORMATX_NC4 NC_FORMAT_NC_HDF4
NC_FORMATX_NC_HDF4 NC_FORMAT_PNETCDF NC_FORMATX_PNETCDF NC_FORMAT_DAP2
NC_FORMATX_DAP2 NC_FORMAT_DAP4 NC_FORMATX_DAP4 NC_FORMAT_UNDEFINED
NC_FORMATX_UNDEFINED

   -

   Reduced minimum cmake version to 2.8.11 from 2.8.12. This will allow for
   cmake use on a broader set of popular linux platforms without having to do
   a custom cmake install. See
   https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/issues/135 for more information.
   -

   The documentation section The Default Chunking Scheme has been updated
   with more information. This lives in the guide.dox file in the docs/
   directory, or can be found online in the appropriate location (typically
   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs), once this release has been
   published.

​