[netcdfgroup] Unexpectedly large netCDF4 files from python

Hello netcdf folks,

I’m testing some python code for writing sets of timestamps and variable length
binary blobs to a netcdf file and the resulting file size is perplexing to me.

The following segment of python code creates a file with just two variables,
“timestamp” and “data”, populates the first entry of the timestamp variable
with a float and the corresponding first entry of the data variable with an
array of 100 unsigned 8-bit integers. The total amount of data is 108 bytes.

But the resulting file is over 73 MB in size. Does anyone know why this might
be so large and what I might be doing to cause it?

Thanks,

Val

from netCDF4 import Dataset
import numpy

f = Dataset('scratch/text3.nc','w')

dim = f.createDimension('timestamp_dim',None)
data_dim = f.createDimension('data_dim',None)

data_t = f.createVLType('u1','variable_data_t’)

timestamp = f.createVariable('timestamp','d','timestamp_dim')
data = f.createVariable('data',data_t,'data_dim’)

timestamp[0] = time.time()
data[0] = uint8( numpy.ones(1,100))

f.close()

Val Schmidt