Re: [netcdfgroup] Proposed changes to netcdf-c library: DetectingnetCDF versus HDF5

Howdy All!

Pedro asks:
"what is the reason for using the HDF5 Dimension Scales API inside netCDF ?"

The dimension scales API was added to HDF5 to support netCDF dimensions. So
I used it in netCDF-4. The idea was that other HDF5 users might use
dimension scales to express shared dimension info, and then netCDF-4 would
understand those files too.

NetCDF-4 also can read HDF5 files that do not have dimension scales, so
dimension scales are not required to read a file with netCDF-4.

Thanks,
Ed