Re: [netcdfgroup] Using nccopy and THREDDS to download a netCDF file

Another alternative is to use the ncks command in a dap-enabled form of the NCO 
package, which will automatically pull over the coordinate variables:

ncks -4 -d time,480,603 -d lat,20,34 -d lon,26,40 -v air 
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/thredds/dodsC/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/pressure/air.2014.nc
 out.nc

> On Jun 22, 2016, at 9:41 AM, Antonio S. CofiÃo <cofinoa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 
> Ashwin, 
> 
> You must also have to specify time, latitude, longitude and level coordinated 
> variables associated to the tas variable itself
> 
> nccopy -4  
> "http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/thredds/dodsC/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/pressure/air.2014.nc?air[480:603][2][20:34][26:40],time[480:603],level[2],lat[20:34],lon[26:40]";
>  foo.nc
> 
> regards
> 
> Antonio
> 
> P.S: The air variable is a Grid or ARRAY MAP in DAP terminology and it would 
> be possible to do what you want without specifying coordinated variables.... 
> but the DAP service implemented by THREDDS is simpler in constraint 
> expression than others DAP service implementations (i.e. hyrax)
> 
> El 22/06/2016 a las 15:20, ashwinD12 . escribiÃ:
>> Hello,
>>          I am using nccopy to download NCEP reanalysis files from a THREDDS 
>> server using constraint expressions.  
>> 
>> nccopy -4  
>> "http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/thredds/dodsC/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/pressure/air.2014.nc?air[480:603][2][20:34][26:40]â;
>>  foo.nc
>> 
>> However it does not do what I want it to do. When I check the contents of 
>> foo.nc it does not download the latitude, longitude, time and level 
>> information. 
>> 
>> The same file downloaded by FTP from ESRL PSD site contains the information 
>> of time, latitude , longitude and and level.
>> 
>> Is there some other option I need to include in the nccopy command so that 
>> the other information is also downloaded ? Do I need to the include the "-v" 
>> option ?
>> 
>> 
>> Following is my sample data from using nccopy - 
>> 
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[0] hgt[0]=5758 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[1] hgt[1]=5715 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[2] hgt[2]=5679 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[3] hgt[3]=5658 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[4] hgt[4]=5651 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[5] hgt[5]=5656 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[6] hgt[6]=5666 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[7] hgt[7]=5675 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[8] hgt[8]=5680 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[9] hgt[9]=5680 m
>> time[0] level[0] lat[0] lon[10] hgt[10]=5678 
>> 
>> The same data from FTP - 
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[0]=65 hgt[0]=5758 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[1]=67.5 hgt[1]=5715 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[2]=70 hgt[2]=5679 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[3]=72.5 hgt[3]=5658 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[4]=75 hgt[4]=5651 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[5]=77.5 hgt[5]=5656 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[6]=80 hgt[6]=5666 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[7]=82.5 hgt[7]=5675 m
>> time[0]=1879032 level[0]=500 lat[0]=40 lon[8]=85 hgt[8]=5680 m
>> 
>> 
>> Regards,
>> Ashwin. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>> do not want to be made public.
>> 
>> 
>> netcdfgroup mailing list
>> 
>> netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> 
>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
>> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/ 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
> do not want to be made public.
> 
> 
> netcdfgroup mailing list
> netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/

--
Christopher Lynnes    NASA/GSFC  301-614-5185
âWe choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not 
because they are easy, but because they are hard..." - John F. Kennedy