[netcdfgroup] HFD errors when updating netCDF4 files

Hi all
We are trying to figure out why we have been getting a particular HDF5 error when trying to change an attribute. I run update code for datasets via cron. At random times over the las year for at least 5 separate files in different datasets with different update code, we discovered we suddenly couldn't update the actual range attribute for a variable as the netCDF API did not see the attribute anymore. There was no obvious cause . Once the file was "broken" it stayed that way. Trying to update or fix the attribute gives the errors below.

To fix the file we either restore the file from backup or regenerate it using nccopy on the broken file.

Someone here has done some extensive testing. They found that Fortran, NCO, and NCL can't work on the attribute. Also, h5edit can't. But, some HDF5 applications that view the file do not see an error. And the file gives no error with ncdump though it doesn't show the actual_range attribute.

Has anyone seen this error before? Any ideas on the cause come to mind? We are debating NFS issues or library as the cause but are leaning towards the former, at least partially.

I have a broken and working file in ncftp ftp.cdc.noaa.gov
cd Public/csmith/netcdf

Thanks for any insight

Cathy Smith
ESRL/PSD

Commands we ran to show error:
ncdump -h  precip.V1.0.2016.nc <http://precip.V1.0.2016.nc> |grep act
                    lat:actual_range = 20.125f, 49.875f ;
                    lon:actual_range = 230.125f, 304.875f ;
                    time:actual_range = 1893408., 1900824. ;

    When I try to add it back, I get

    ncatted -h -O -a actual_range,precip,c,f,"100000.,-100000."
    precip.V1.0.2016.nc <http://precip.V1.0.2016.nc>
    nco_err_exit(): ERROR Short NCO-generated message (usually name of
    function that triggered error): nco_enddef()
    nco_err_exit(): ERROR Error code is -107. Translation into English
    with nc_strerror(-107) is "NetCDF: Can't open HDF5 attribute"
    nco_err_exit(): ERROR NCO will now exit with system call
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE)

and
 ncatted -h -O -a actual_range,precip,o,f,"10000

    0.,-100000." precip.V1.0.2016.nc <http://precip.V1.0.2016.nc>
    nco_err_exit(): ERROR Short NCO-generated message (usually name of
    function that triggered error): nco_enddef()
nco_err_exit(): ERROR Error code is -107. Translation into English with
    nc_strerror(-107) is "NetCDF: Can't open HDF5 attribute"
nco_err_exit(): ERROR NCO will now exit with system call exit(EXIT_FAILURE)

NOAA/ESRL PSD and CU CIRES
303-497-6263
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/cathy.smith/

Emails about data/webpages may get quicker responses from emailing
esrl.psd.data@xxxxxxxx